Thursday, July 20, 2006

Oh, Paul Hodes is GOOD!

My lease started today. I can’t get all my stuff in my car or carry it all by myself, but I wanted to see the place since I’d taken it sight unseen from the college. I was also concerned about the way that, when it comes to blogging about Paul Hodes and NH-02, The Yankee Doodler and Keener at NH-02 Progressive have been kicking my ass this week. (I’m not competitive in the sense of wanting to win anything, but, you know, I’d rather not be the one who clearly belongs on the short bus.)

So I got up at 7:30 this morning (this is literally the middle of the night for me) drove up, got the apartment key, and took a couple loads of stuff from storage to the apartment, but there was this one other thing. I’d read in the Concord Monitor that Paul Hodes was going to be at a booth at Market Days in Concord for a while this afternoon. It seemed like a good opportunity to see him in action and maybe say hi and introduce myself if I was in a relatively outgoing mood, so, crazy as it was, I went down to Concord between carloads of boxes.

The street was blocked off for Market Days and lined with booths including all your standard fair food, which was really exciting for me. And then down the street there comes Paul Hodes and a couple of staffers. Well, I had no choice but to just go over and say hi – however much I might generally like to lurk in corners, this was why I was there.

He was talking to someone, so I went to a staffer and said hi and I’d like to volunteer at some point. They were super friendly and started taking my information for that, and then Paul Hodes is done talking to whoever, and comes and shakes my hand and – this is the impressive part – when I said my name, he asked if I was Laura from Daily Kos. Seriously, he’s talking to random person in the middle of the street, and he can put that together!

I talked to him for just a minute but he was lovely. Then I went by his campaign office, and let me assure you that if you have contributed to his campaign or are thinking about doing so, they are not wasting your money on interior decoration.

There’s absolutely no doubt that volunteering for this campaign will not only be a good thing to do for all those high-minded reasons, it will be a fun thing to do as well.

Really, the only down side to this little excursion is that the fresh-cut fries and the lemonade were both kind of sub-par.

1 Comments:

Blogger yankeedoodler said...

That's great, Laura, and terrific that he is aware of the blog-scene.

I'm looking forward to meeting him at some point soon.

You just met the next Congressman from NH-02.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home