Monday, September 25, 2006

On Bass Sockpuppets

There's a pretty good chance that if you're coming here today it's because you've already read the story about a Bass staffer trolling this site, but in brief:

As I posted on Thursday, here and at Daily Kos, someone named "IndieNH" or "IndyNH" had been leaving comments on this and other NH-02 blogs claiming to support Paul Hodes but always managing to work in sorrowful references to how very strong and independent Charlie Bass is. Those comments were being left from a House of Representatives IP address, which is deceptive and probably in violation of House rules against using government resources to campaign.

Roll Call's Heard on the Hill has covered the story (Roll Call is subscription-only, but it's reproduced at Raw Story), and Bass' office has admitted that Indy is in fact one of their staffers. Several blogs have posted on the Roll Call story.

I have little to add at this point - I'm amazed and pleased to see the story get this much attention. Given the amount of deception and corruption Republicans in the House and elsewhere have engaged in over the past several years, I'd have thought this wouldn't even show up on anyone's radar. But even if it's no Abramoff scandal, using government resources to campaign while pretending to be someone you're not is wrong and also just plain lame, so I'm not complaining.

For the record, I am in no way paid by the Hodes campaign. I am open about my partisanship and support of Hodes. I volunteer for the campaign whenever I have the chance, and I have contributed money. But they do not pay me for anything and do not control what I say.

6 Comments:

Blogger josh narins said...

You should sign up at leftyblogs.com.

I was in NH-02 (Lebanon in Grafton) for a couple years (until July) and would have liked to find more NH blogs.

Was this the same as the NH Insider "IndyNH?"

5:18 AM  
Blogger hekebolos said...

nice job with this Laura. Well done.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Arlen said...

Bass' aide resigned over this!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060926/ap_on_el_ho/nh_house_blogger

3:27 PM  
Blogger MissLaura said...

Josh,

We assume that it was the same as the NH Insider "IndyNH" because that Indy cited Charlie Bass's grandfather as his favorite governor ever. But the account is gone and in any case we can't do IP lookups there, so it's only a theory.

4:32 PM  
Blogger betsythedevine said...

Good work! I've been blogging the phone jammers in my NH category, but I look forward to reading your blog now.

BTW, Wikipedia outed a whole bunch of Congressional staffers back in January for making sneaky edits to the biographies of their bosses--and their bosses' rivals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Congressional_Staffer_Edits#United_States_House_of_Representatives

4:51 PM  
Blogger John Kalb said...

Apparently, this sort of thing is standard practice on Capitol Hill for members of both parties.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home